Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Spicy Honey Chicken





























I was running low on ideas for what to cook for dinner yesterday and so I browsed through my pinterest  recipes to try board. I narrowed it down to 3 and then let D pick. He suggested we have the chicken and save the fish and shrimp dishes for when J comes back from Toronto- which is tonight!! woohoo :)

I modified this recipe from  The girl who ate everything who got the recipe from our best bites. If my kitchen had been clean to start out with, it would have been quick and easy. Unfortunately for me, I had a sink filled with dishes that I had to do before I could begin cooking. Once the cleaning was done and the cooking began,  It was simple to make. I had been a bit worried reading about how it could turn into a hot sticky mess, but luckily it was fine. Definitely crack open a window though if you are cooking this indoors and not on a barbecue.  I used my new Le Creuset grilling pan that my parents gave me at my last birthday. I absolutely love it.


I served it with salad and grilled potatoes. I also picked up some cute sauce cups and made spicy mayo for dipping.



It would also be good served on rice or couscous.  It turned out well.  I am definitely going to be making this again.  

Ingredients:
- 6 chicken thighs
- olive oil or vegetable oil

rub:
2 teaspoons granulated garlic (you can sub 1 teaspoon garlic powder here)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder- omitted because I didn't have any- need to add to grocery list
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne

** dislaimer: I nearly ran out of rub after just 3 thighs, so if you like it spicy you may want to double the recipe for the rub.

glaze:
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar

Directions: 
- Combine the rub spices in bowl and mix well.
-  Trim off any excess fat from the chicken pieces. Pat dry. Drizzle oil over chicken and rub in with your hands to lightly coat all the pieces. Then toss chicken with the spice rub to coat all sides well. I wore gloves.
- Grill chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, warm honey in the microwave so it's not so thick. Add the vinegar and combine well. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of the honey glaze for later after the chicken has cooked to pour on right before serving. Take the rest and brush on chicken (both sides) in the final moments of grilling.
Leave your grill or pan on for a few minutes after the chicken is done to burn off any excess glaze.

Enjoy!!





No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...