Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Saffron Rice Pilaf with Red Pepper




I apologize for the lack of updates. I was in Austria for my grandma's 90th, and then in London visiting and touring. It was so much fun. I barely cooked on my trip, but I did eat lots of delicious food. I looove the food in Austria, If I lived there i would weigh at least 500 pounds.Schnitzels, pastries, cakes, rolls, potato salad..yum yum yum.  I also had no idea London had such delicious food. I thought for some reason that the food wouldn't be good. My mistake was that British food may not be good, but Britain is filled with delicious ethnic restaurants and wonderful markets.

When I finally got a chance to get in the kitchen, I decided to make this rice pilaf to accompany a delicious clementine chicken recipe that my mom had made. The recipe is adapted from Fine Cooking that I'd bought in the airport. I was so proud of myself, because usually I fail miserably at making rice. It is either too crunchy or super mushy. I will definitely make this recipe again. We were 9 people and there was enough for everyone, but not enough for everyone to have seconds. I probably should have doubled the recipe..oh well better to leave people wanting more right?



Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- pinch saffron- mine was imported from Turkey
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 red pepper (here I used yellow)
- 1 1/2 cups long grained white rice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (omitted because I didn't have but i will add in next time)
- 1 T fresh oregano

Directions:
-On the stove, heat the broth until hot. Add saffron, cover and let sit 15 minutes.
- In a heavy saucepan with a lid, heat oil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low, add onion and pepper. Cook until soft but not brown (approx 5 min). Add rice, salt, cayenne, stirring well to coat each grain with oil. Toast for 5 min, stirring often.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons parsley and garlic.
- Add saffron broth, stir once, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 18 minutes
- Remove from heat and let sit  covered for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Fold in almonds, remaining parsley and oregano.

Enjoy!!

Here is a photo of my grandmother eating the rice, she said it was delicious. She is the best :)





No comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...